Friday, November 30, 2012

Guatemalan and Mexican Food are Not the Same!

A common misconception we have encountered many times while we've been in the States is that Mexican food and Guatemalan food are synonymous. For the record, this is not at all true. They really aren't alike at all. There are some foods that are called the same; such as tamales, enchiladas, and tacos. But even these common names mean two totally different things in the two different countries. And outside of the names of these foods mentioned, all other food is totally different. Now I have never been to Mexico, but I am pretty sure that the food we eat at Mexican restaurants here in the mid-west are probably not exactly the same as the food that people in Mexico eat day in and day out, although there are some authentic restaurants that I think come pretty close. So when I refer to Mexican food, I am referring to the food offered in Mexican restaurants in the med-west United States. Norman and I really like Mexican food and ate it quite often when we lived in the States. So that is one of the foods we miss the most. I can get ingredients to cook some of our favorite Mexican meals but there are some entrees offered at Mexican restaurants that are too hard to duplicate at home. Therefore, when we are back in the States, contrary to popular belief, we DO want to eat Mexican food and eat at Mexican restaurants because we can't get the same thing in Guatemala. The food is not the same. Just a little tidbit of information for ya for free. GUATEMALAN TAMALES:
MEXICAN TAMALES:
GUATEMALAN ENCHILADA:
GUATEMALAN TACO:

1 comment:

  1. Just for the record! This is my first visit to your blog, although I have known about your ministry for quite some time. I am the Global Outreach Minister (Missions Pastor) at Bethany Baptist Church where Norm's brother Lyall works. I grew up in Poza Rica, Veracruz, Mexico and I just wanted to comment that the Tamales that you pictured above look exactly like the ones that I love from Poza Rica! The corn husk tamales are traditional in many parts of Mexico, especially at higher elevations and in the north, but down in tropical areas like Poza Rica, they cook them in banana leaves which make them very different in texture and even in flavor. Maybe one of these days I will get to try one of the Guatemalan versions - I would really like that!

    Steve Hornbrook
    BFC Global Outreach Minister

    ReplyDelete