Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ouch, that hurt!

We left Hogar de Vida this morning and came to Guatemala City.  Tomorrow morning we fly to Omaha, Nebraska.  We will be in the States until January 3.  It has been two years since we've been back for an extended visit.  Since then, Norman has only been in the States for 1 week, and I have been there for 2 weeks.  When we were back 2 years ago we had only been serving at the Home of Life for 7 months.  Leaving wasn't too bad because we were just starting to bond with the kids and we knew we would be back.  Now we have been serving there for 2-1/2 years.  We have been living life with 30 kids.  We are now part of the family and we love them all dearly.  The little ones love us and the older ones appear to tolerate us but we think they might kind of like us too.  It was heart wrenching to say good-bye.  Especially to the younger ones who we know don't fully understand the concept of time and where and how long we are going.  We are so ready to come to the States and see family and friends.  We need a break and are looking forward to a time of renewal.  We want to go, but it still hurt my heart to leave.

 As we started on our journey, I began to think about the fact that when we love deep we also hurt deep, but it is worth it. We picked up a family of three walking down the road and gave them a ride to their destination.  They spoke minimal Spanish, only Quiche, but we could communicate through smiles.  As I smiled at the lady and she smiled back, I realized how much I love these people.     It was a beautiful day this morning and as we were driving the dirt road through the mountains, I took in all the beautiful scenery around me.  It is such a beautiful country with beautiful people and I found myself thanking the Lord for sending me here.  For allowing me to serve in such a beautiful place with such beautiful people!  I  surprised myself, it hasn't always been easy to be here and even though I want to be here and I am glad to serve, this is the first time I truly felt thankful.  I think this is a sign of progress.  :-)  Thank you Lord!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to come visit the two of you and all the precious children in July! Do you happen to have any pics of some of the little kids I could help to raise funds? Issy1997@aol.com is my email. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete