Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What is your calling?

If you have followed this blog at all, you have figured out that regular blogging is not my strength.  More than once I have determined that I am going to do better and post regularly.  I do okay for awhile and then life gets busy again and I have all these blogs going on in my head that never get on paper. Then I feel like what I had going on in my head is old news and I don't bother to post it.  After 6 months since my last blog, I once again determine to do better and start blogging again.  Well, that is where you find me right now.  One of my struggles in writing is knowing what to write.  I usually write about events, which is good and keeps you informed on what is happening, but it is really the heart things that encourages all of us.  However, I find it hard to write about heart things because I don't want to betray any confidences and I think it is possible to be too open, not to mention that it makes me very vulnerable. :-)  But I do think there is a balance there and I am asking God to help me find that balance.

So, today I am going to share one of those heart things that  God has been working on in my life.  In a nut shell, what He has been showing me is that I need to have confidence in His calling on my life.  This morning my bible reading was in Nehemiah.  God called Nehemiah to go to Jerusalem and facilitate the rebuilding of the city wall.  Nehemiah went in confidence knowing that he was doing God's will and that God was with him and would equip him.  I want to share with you what I wrote in my journal this morning.  As you are reading, be thinking, "God called Nehemiah to rebuild the wall in Jerusalem, He called Norman and Vickie to work among at-risk children in Guatemala.  What is His calling on my life?"  There may be a few people who are reading this that God is nudging you to make a big move for Him and step out in faith to follow His calling.  However,  for the majority of you, your calling is right where you are.  You may or may not be aware of what that is.  My prayer for you is that God opens your eyes and helps you see the purpose He has for you right where you are at.  There may be a person in your realm of influence who God wants you to reach out to.  It is in living out His purpose in our lives that we have peace and are fulfilled!

October 10, 2012  
Bible Reading:  Nehemiah 1-6
My bible reading was from Nehemiah today and how he went to Jerusalem and helped rebuild the wall.  He was obviously called by God specifically for this purpose and God equipped him  and guided him.  God gave him favor with the king who appointed him as governor of Jerusalem which gave him the authority he needed to carry out his purpose.  Nehemiah's confidence strikes me, he goes forth with purpose and in confidence and knows God's hand is on him.  He sees through the schemes of his enemies and doesn't fall into traps that are set.  He knows how to encourage the people and keep them motivated.  He sacrifices for the people and is very generous and asks nothing in return.  Nehemiah is a great example of a Godly leader who listens to the Lord.  God gave him very specific, successful plans to rebuild the wall in record time.  
"Lord, I know I am here in Guatemala for your purposes, called by you.  Lord help me to walk in confidence in my calling.  help me to be so close to you that I see the enemy's schemes of discouragement and sabotage for what they are and do not fall into his trap of self-pity and depression.  Lord, my calling is different from Nehemiah in that you have not called us to be in authority but I do see that you have called us to leadership.  Lord, give us a confidence in your calling and your leading.  Help us to always be in tune with you so that our actions and words are of you and edifying and not destructive.  I love you Lord and today I choose to rest in the confidence that your mighty strength is at work within me.  AMEN!"
Ephesians 3:20-21  "Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen."

I feel incredibly exposed right now having shared my deepest thoughts, but I pray that these words will be of encouragement to you and spur you on to serve the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind!  Many blessings to you all!


1 comment:

  1. Good words! I am soaking them up. Much love from the Gnuses.

    ReplyDelete