Monday, March 19, 2012

We took the plunge, now are we going to float or swim?


When we decided to follow God's leading and quit our jobs and trade our house in the country for a smaller one in town and sell our cars and other belongings, and move to Guatemala to serve in a children's home there, we were taking a plunge. We dove right in. As soon as we landed in Costa Rica for language school we began to furiously tread water. There were many days when we barely had our nose above water. But God was faithful and saw us through. I just received an email from a friend from language school and she said, "My heart smiles as I read your stories. To think back on the days in language school and how worried we were about learning the language. Just one of those hurdles in life that seemed to be too high to jump over. For some, He gave grace and allowed them to crawl under the hurdle, hehe:) happy " And that's what we did, crawled under and kept treading water even after we arrived in Guatemala.

May 1st we will have been living here in Guatemala for two years. That seems like a long time, but in reality when it comes to adjusting to living in a new culture it is not very long. We are just beginning to feel like we aren't treading water so furiously, like we can relax a little. Maybe even float. That is a good feeling and I realized just recently that I could stay floating and no one would think anything of it.

But God isn't one to let us be less than what He planned and made us to be. So He has been prompting me lately to keep going, keep growing, and take the next step. It is time for me to take another plunge and start reaching out to those outside the home more. To the community. To make friends, have them over for dinner. Be a friend. Now Norman has already been doing that. He is an extrovert and it comes naturally for him to reach out to others. Who cares if they understand his language or not. I love people but I'm a little more timid and introverted. It is harder for me.

I recently shared with a friend that I felt like I should be doing more. Her response was, "You're kidding, right?" I wasn't kidding but I wasn't surprised by her response because I am sure I would have reacted the same way had the roles been reversed. I would be thinking, "You're on the mission field, isn't that enough." I suppose it could be, but this is where I face the decision, am I going to play it safe and just float or am I going to obey and trust God and start to swim? Am I going to keep moving forward and see all the beautiful things He has for me or just float around the same place and see the same old scenery?

And that is my challenge for you as well. What stage are you in right now? Have you taken the plunge in obedience to God or are you still standing safe on solid ground? If you have taken the plunge, are you treading water still or are you in the floating stage? If you're floating, are you going to stay there or are you going to start to swim in obedience and enjoy all the things God has for you.

I hope we all decide to swim and enjoy the abundant life God has for us!

1 comment:

  1. So right on, Vickie! Thanks for the exhortation to keep doing the hard things. I know He is worth it, and His plans are beautiful beyond what we can see here and now.

    ReplyDelete