I know this is sad to be thinking about this so far ahead, but I have already been wondering how I am ever going to leave for a month the end of November when we go back to the states for the holidays. I can't wait to go back and I greatly miss my biological kids and family, but on the flip side I am leaving children that I pour my life into every day. When we left 2 years ago for our first short furlough, we had only actually been here 7 months. It was hard to leave but it didn't leave a hole in my heart. This time I am pretty sure it will. But, alas, I will return, and even more than that, God is faithful and will take care of the kids while I am gone and help us both not to miss each other too much.
Now onto another matter of the heart. A little over a month ago, around 9:00 at night, the local police came and brought two sisters, ages 9 and 11. Their mom and dad had divorced. Dad moved away offering no help, so mom went to Guatemala City to find work, leaving her two girls to fend for themselves. The 11 year old had been working full time making tortillas and cleaning. A neighbor became aware of this situation and reported the family. Thus the reason they came to live with us during the time it took to get a court hearing and make a ruling on their future living situation. The possibilities being: live with Dad, live with Mom, stay living at the home. This past Wednesday they went to court with their mom and dad. The mom had found a new job in the village where they live and Dad agreed to help with child support. It was agreed that the 11 year old wouldn't work any more and they would both go to school. So the judge ruled that the girls would go back and live with their mom with these changes taken into consideration.
We are all very happy for these girls and we hope and pray that mom and dad really do carry through with the promised changes. Though we are happy, there is a little sadness as well. These girls were here for a month. We cared for them and nurtured them. We saw the 9 year old grow attached to the adults, giving and receiving lots of hugs, and become confident in her surroundings. We saw the 11 year old gradually loosen up and not work so hard, even play at times. And most importantly we told them about Jesus. We know that this time the Lord gave us to care for them will not be wasted. He has promised that His word will not return void. We pray that as they return to live with their mom, they will remember that Jesus loves them and will never leave or forsake them.
So Tim was right, working with kids messes you up. Part of our hearts went with those 2 little girls. So what is the alternative? Play it safe and not invest in these kids lives. Protect my heart so that it never hurts? Its an option, but in exchange I will be giving up the rewards that come from loving a child. The joy that comes from caring for a child and seeing them start to smile and enjoy life. The unconditional love that comes from a child in return. I will be giving up the hugs and morning greetings. The satisfaction of knowing that I might have had an eternal impact even in the life of one child! No I don't want to give that up, not even so that my heart is safe. Because in reality, God didn't make us that way. He made us to love and in loving and being loved, foremost by Jesus and then pouring this out to others, we are fulfilled. So I encourage you today, take a risk and love someone. It is well worth it!

No comments:
Post a Comment