Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Preying Mantis
Our windows do not have screens on them so when the sun goes down around 5:30, we shut the windows and blinds so the bugs aren't drawn into our room by the lights. Well, tonight as I was closing the window I saw something on the edge of the window that looked like a stick or a piece of tape. Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was a preying mantis. I had already closed the window so I couldn't just shoo it out and if I opened the window back up I would disturb it, so I called in the calvary. Norman (and James, another boarder in our house who was in our room at the time. I will tell you his story in another blog.) Norman tried picking it up and we quickly found out that Preying Mantis' can fly. Who knew!? Well, that was enough for me, I don't do flying insects! I quickly left the room which brought the preying mantis to the attention of Flora, the mom of the house, and Josue (Joshua) her 25 year old son. So now Josue and James are watching Norman take on the preying mantis manned with a fly swatter generously supplied by Flora. The goal was to not kill the poor guy but to relocate him back outside since he eats mosquitos. Well, he must have been "praying" hard because Norman was successful and the preying (or praying) mantis lives to say another prayer. I wanted to take a picture but I wasn't going to stay in the room with a flying insect long enough to find the camera and snap a picture. So below is a picture of another preying mantis so you get the idea!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ohhh mom. I can just see your face the instant it started to fly... Hehehe... :)
ReplyDeleteYou know me well! :)
ReplyDelete